Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Coping with TSW

Medical Marijuana, No Moisturizers & Dead Sea Salts


When I started TSW, I wanted to find out what my fellow TSA were doing to "ease" the pain. If that is possible? I didn't want to overload myself with information or go out and buy everything that "worked", since each case is unique. Like most things in life, it is all trial and error. I made my decision based on what seemed most logical to me. Again, this is what works for me, at the moment and I will embrace that. If it continues to provide me with the best relief I know, great!

Let's touch on the use of medical marijuana. I'm a huge advocate for the use of marijuana. Why not, right? It is still not 'legal' for recreational use in the State of CA, however, if you have a Dr. recommendation then you're able to go to any of the thousand(s) of clinics throughout Los Angeles. I have used medical marijuana for a long time and for me it has multiple benefits. In addition to TSA/eczema/atopic dermatitis, I also have bipolar disorder and ADHD... I've been dealt an awesome set of cards. Lol! It took me a few years to accept it and to get the correct combination of medications, which I've been taking continuously (minus pregnancy) since 2008. I'm more high strung / high anxiety than I am depressive. My doctor has offered up Xanex, Ativan and Klonopin for the high anxiety, and I'm like "NO thanks!" They are highly addictive if used improperly and quite frankly, I have no interest in taking anymore pills than I really need to. 

When I started TSW, I did some research on the use of medical marijuana and topical steroid withdrawal. To my surprise, there wasn't much "talk" about it, so I'll share my experience:
  • Great distraction. I notice that I do not scratch or even think about my skin nearly as much
  • Relaxation. It is a lot easier for me to keep the anxiety and stress level down
  • Sleep aid. Once again, helps turn my mind off and allows me to relax
I would like to add, that I am not a lazy pot head stoner, which is usually the general stereotype of a 'habitual' marijuana user. Not true. I'm literally the exact opposite. However, this is just me and my experience. Some people have no interest and I get that too. 

NO MOISTURIZER?!?!?!?! *Gasps* Yes, you heard me right. I'd found several articles and talked to a few people who ditched moisturizers during withdrawal. The thought of not using any moisturizers during TSW had me crawling in my skin. I've used them my whole life! What am I going to do? Well, I'm glad that I did. I ditched moisturizers because it just seemed to make the most sense to me. I think there are misconceptions on "moisturizer withdrawal" and in my personal opinion, I don't believe there is a physical withdrawal process. It absolutely is a process though! Seems like common sense to not to put anything on my skin while it is trying to heal. I discovered this rather quickly too. About 7 days into TSW, I was still using moisturizer. After I bathed, I applied my lotion liberally (as always) and noticed that my skin felt so much worse after using it. I was swollen, RED, burning and itchy... I knew that moisturizing was going to do this, and I realized at that point that I'd rather be dry and flaky, than red and itchy. Don't get me wrong, I'm still red and itchy, but there has been minimal burning, zero swelling, and the itch is occasional. I figured I'd let my skin be it's own barrier and let it restore itself since it's been through enough already.

Dead Sea Salt (DSS). Soooo, take a bath in super salty salt and then don't moisturize afterward... What kind of sick alternate universe am I living in?! I've avoided salt water like the plague for the last 12 years. Always going to the beach, but never going into the water, and that was no exception when I went to Maui. How sad that I never stepped foot in the water while I was there... Guess I'll have to go back. Bummer. Anyways, I'd been told be a couple of people that dead sea salt was great for TSW, so I got a few DSS products that I LOVE. I will promote it because it works very well for me and my son (also in TSW). Does it dry out the skin? Yes and no. Does it burn? The first couple of times, yes. It's a "good" burn though and does not last long. Here are the products I'm currently using:


7 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer!
    I am 40 days into TSW and your history and usage are almost identical to mine. I too was driven by my intuition to stop poisoning myslef. It's been a terrifying, but empowering journey to take my health into my own hands and to watch my body begin to heal.
    I use cannabis too to help the itch and sleep. The insomnia and inability to get comfortable is just the worst, but pot helps tremendously.
    I have also had great luck with bentonite clay and Pink Himalayan sea salt in the bath. I started a liver cleanse and tumeric supplements as well. Both help with inflammation.
    Just thought I'd share. Best of luck to you!! Feel free to reach out - you are NOT alone in this. :)
    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny!
      Thank you for stopping by my blog. :) It has been a blessing to join a community where people are also experiencing this journey and all of the support from everyone around here, and of course, suggestions are ALWAYS appreciated as well!

      How are you doing right now? I've yet to have a major flare, so I expect month 2 and 3 to be bad. Seems like that's when most people experience withdrawal the worst. Are you finding that to be true at the moment?

      Delete
  2. Hi Jennifer!
    I tried medical marijuana to help fight my eczema, but my eczema seemed to get worse. I'm just curious that if you have ever had this issue when you're on marijuana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I have never had that happen. However, there are so many strains that help a variety of conditions. Did you smoke it? Edibles? Vapor pen? Bummer that it doesn't help you... Hopefully you can try again, different method, or type of marijuana. Maybe you can find something that works for you. I'm here if you have any questions as well. :)

      Delete
    2. I've tried to smoke it and eat edibles. Whenever I did medical marijuana, I would feel itchy and some rashes. How about you? How do you use it? I guess maybe I'm allergic to marijuana.

      Delete
    3. Hmmm... that's interesting. Some people don't benefit from using it. I can understand how it might make you more itchy, since it's not hard to become focused on one thing and run with it. The scratching probably trumped the distraction and that was all you could think about. As for me, I'm not really big on the edibles... they make me way too sluggish. I smoke flower (pipe or bong) and oil/wax with a vapor pen. I typically smoke a Sativa, since it gives me a mental high. So I am able to distract myself completely. I spent 3 hours cleaning my house yesterday and doing laundry, I was in my zone and honestly didn't scratch much at all or feel crappy. On occasion I'll smoke an Indica, which is more of a body high, which sends me into LaLa Land. That is when I don't mind being lazy and want to rest/sleep.

      Delete
    4. I see. That's very informative. I think I have no luck with medical marijuana, however, glad it works for you.

      Delete